Saturday, April 16, 2022

Gem Twist



 
Original "Gem Twist", ran from 1993-1994



So while I was uploading that eye candy photo of Desi a post or so back, it got me thinking about the Gem Twist mold. It was sculpted in 1993 by Kathleen Moody. Gem Twist hasn't been used a lot recently. Our most recent release of any number was the 2015 holiday horse, who seemed to be received well. There was also a 2016 BF Live Auction OOAK and of course Desi, the 2017 10pc BF Show prize (and 1 was sold at the Live Auction).

I thought this was very interesting: 

 Early molds have 39 thin braids, some of which are indistinct. In 1995 these braids were replaced by 20 braids that are shaped like tiny hourglasses and this continues to the present day. 
- Janice Cox, IDYB

Hmm. I wonder why that changed. I'm glad it did, but usually Breyer wouldn't do something like that unless it was a major change that was pretty necessary. This one seems entirely cosmetic and very tiny.

I was looking over the different releases that have been produced on the Gem Twist, and I do not see any releases for any of the clubs. I have a feeling that he will be coming up as a Web Special, CC SR, or VC.PC/SC SR. I also don't see any releases as a BF SR or BF SS/LE. Maybe next year we will see him in the line-up.


Enjoy some Gem Twist photos, courtesy of IDYB:

"Fox Hunting Gift Set", ran from 2001-2003

"Peppermint Kiss", 2015 Holiday Horse

2016 BF Live Auction OOAK (Notice the tail, it is not the original Gem Twist tail!)

"Authentic" 2006 USET Foundation Limited Edition, 750pc Run

"Pinto Sport Horse" 2013 Mid-Year Release

I myself have no models on Gem Twist, but I certainly wouldn't mind adding that "Pinto Sport Horse" or "Authentic"! I think this mold would be absolutely stunning in chestnut leopard appaloosa!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love to read comments. Thank you for leaving your thoughts!