Wednesday, March 22, 2023

A Short Rundown of How OMHPS Works (2023)

Yesterday I saw some questions in the comments about how to show on OMHPS. This is just a quick drive-by of the basics. Please remember, things are subject to change, and the website may not be identical later down the road (hence why I tacked the year down in the title). I love OMHPS, and use it heavily. I hope all of you join too!



What is OMHPS?

OMHPS (Online Model Horse Photo Shows) is a platform for hosting and showing phot shows. It holds all of your photos and information so you never have to upload twice. It is a trillion times easier than PonyBytes!

Is OMHPS free?

Yep. Unless you want the premium membership which allows you to have 2500 models (vs the 250 on a free membership) use reference pics, upload better pics to the website, removes the ads, and several other perks. Premium is $20 a year. I don't have premium, you really don't need it unless you are doing heavy, serious competitions. It does help them with website upkeep, so I know they appreciate every member!

Is entering shows free?

Depends. With the exception of the official OMHPS shows every other month, the shows are hosted by the users. Whoever is hosting gets to decide whether or not they charge a fee. Some do, some don't. If they do, you have to email them and pay a PayPal fee of $3-15 (estimating roughly here). If they do not charge a fee to enter, then you can just go ahead and start entering horses. No fee for free shows. Just pick around through the show descriptions until you find a free one.

Are the OMHPS shows free?

Yes, except for the occasional ones that are only for Premium members. The Birthday show is free for all. :)

Do I need special equipment?

Not to start! Just a basic camera, a model horse, and a place to stand it. As you progress in showing, you may wish to purchase better equipment to upgrade your photos, but it is never required for halter showing. For performance, you will need tack, possibly a doll, maybe props, and a background (usually). Scene is prop heavy typically, but you don't have to enter scene or halter unless you want to and have the stuff for it.

How do I go about doing this thing?

Go to omhps.com. They've got you covered. If you need to read the FAQs, they are here. If you are still confused, email them at omhps@omhps.com. They are super kind and friendly.


So this post just about covers the getting started, I'll do another one tomorrow or the next day on setting up a horse profile and entering a show. Hope it helps! If I missed something, lmk in the comments. :) Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much, Adah. This helps me a ton! I'm gonna ask my mom if I can sign up. Thank you! AC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leah (pipapones) linked me to your blog, it's very nice to see all your posts helping people out, thank you! As for things that are subject to change, we do have some big changes planned, but they still very slowly being worked out in the little time I have to work on the site these days.

    ReplyDelete

I always love to read comments. Thank you for leaving your thoughts!