Wednesday, August 23, 2023

Fair Preparations

Before I start in on this post, I want to say thank you to Harecroft Horses for the helpful comment about Cob/Vanner ponies! Thanks a bunch! For whatever reason Google won't let me comment a reply atm. I have seen a few model Vanner ponies in photo showing (typically in CM classes), but I wasn't sure how well they were known by other judges. (And consequently, how they do in photo shows where a vanner-holic like myself is not the judge! lol) 


It's fair time, it's fair time! Which also means it is my busiest time of year. I contribute 75-100 entries in my local fair every year, so this time of year is a little nutsy! It is exactly 11 days 'til opening day, so things are getting tight for time. I've only been getting 4-6hrs of sleep (yes I know, it's not good for me. . .) and I was good and sick yesterday. Feeling better today. 

Yesterday, I sorted through my photos and picked my photography entries. These are some of my choices:

Entry for Color - Animal

Entry for Black and White (BW) - Animal

Entry for BW - Landscape

One of the photos to be included in a sample scrapbook page

Entry for BW - Other

Entry for BW - Still Life

Entry for Color - Other

Entry for Color - Landscape

Today I worked on some (more) crochet. Some of you know that one of my other major hobbies is amigurumi. I absolutely love those tiny critters! I did six amigurumi entries for the fair this year. I may share pictures later, if there's any interest. I am also "knitting" a scarf on one of those loom things (?). I got it at a thrift store to experiment with using up some extra bulky yarn, and it works wonders. It takes forever though. I will post pics of the scarf when it's done (if I remember).

I have not forgotten the giveaway; I am still working on it. I am considering letting you readers preview the prizes one at a time while I get them together - would there be any interest in that idea? Let me know in the comments.

In a last piece of news, Scurry is due to be here tomorrow! I am beyond excited. Desperately hoping for the bay!

4 comments:

  1. Ooooooooohhhhhh Addie---could you please -please help me with vanner horses!! I recently bought a Peter Stone model and I absolutely love him !! I already have his name picked out but as I also like to pedigree my models, can't seem to find any parents whose lineage doesn't go back only a few generations!! Would you have any good ideas??
    I love your photos!! Good luck @ the Fair!!(Ours just ended this Sunday!)
    Hope you feel better soon!! It's no fun being ill!!
    For the uninitiated, what the *heck* are amigurumis???
    !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there! :) Thanks for commenting.
      I’m afraid that I am not very up in the world of pedigrees. That is one part of the hobby where I am not involved. I would say that maybe a good starting place would be these three websites:
      GHA - About the Registry (gypsyhorseassociation.org)
      Horse Registration | Gypsy Horse Registry Of America (myghra.org)
      Heavy Horses (hvyhorse.net)
      The first one will probably be the most helpful! Remember, it never hurts to contact them. They are typically friendly and eager to help!

      Thanks for the good luck wishes at the fair! Whatever I win is my “guilt-free” spending money for BF the next year LOL!

      Sorry, I should have explained in the post! Amigurumi is the art of crocheting (or knitting) stuffed animals and dolls. I crochet stuffed animals. :) They can be really tiny (crocheting with literal sewing thread) or really big (using plush yarn to make an animal beanbag). My favorites are the ones that fit in your palm.

      Delete
  2. I, too, have had difficulty posting comments recently. Maybe something is up with Blogspot? Love your pics - that pupper! That guinea pig!! Good luck at the fair! Lynn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what's up. I seemed to have resolved mine (for the time being anyway). Hope you get yours sorted out too! Mine seemed to be that I was logged into another Google account on my YT account.
      Thank you! Isn't he cute? That's a family member's dog that I babysit. :3 His name is Mitch, and he's a 3 (or maybe 4) year old Puggle (Pug x Beagle). He's a rescue, so we're not 100% sure on his age.
      And of course the GP is Blanche. :D
      Thank you so much! I hope you get a chance to relax after your busy summer. :)

      Delete

I always love to read comments. Thank you for leaving your thoughts!