Thursday, December 7, 2023

Room Renovation

 Been wondering what's keeping me so busy lately? I'll tell you, in a picture:


That is a part of a room in my basement that was once an unfinished room that belonged to my cats and is now in the process of being turned into a functional horse/hobby storage room. It is a nightmarishly large job, and several times I thought I might start crying lol. The first step was tearing up the 40yr old carpet that the cats have been. . . ummm. . . destroying. . . if you know what I mean. It took two days, but it's all out now. I was sore for a week afterwards (carpet removal is not friendly on old joint injuries!).


Good music helps! (Haha, just noticed that the song playing in the pic seems pretty appropriate!)

I went through so many blades cutting that Satan hide!

*In a disgusted voice* Look at all that ancient mastic. Ugh.

You starting to understand why I wanted to cry? Bad cats.

The process was very tedious. every inch had to be scraped/forced up using a putty knife, then the top layer sliced with a utility knife, then the bottom layer torn by brute force.

The general mess from it being a pet room for more than twenty years did not help.

Naughty Primrose!

The whole room needs gone over though, not just the carpet. The white panels need touched up, the trim needs tidied, and everything that is pink (the accent boarding) is turning a light aqua. New carpet will go in eventually (darkish grey, hoping to find a variegated-ish one), plus shelving and general fixing. The mantle will stay the same, just some paint rubs that need gone over.

Floor to ceiling wall length white L bracket shelves will line the one wall, and the other will have my (new) desk. The far wall is the fireplace and the other is the door, general hobby storage, and anything else that needs adding. I like spending a lot of time around my collection and hobby points, so furniture will need to go down too.

I'm excited and frustrated with the process at the same time. I have an estimated target of summer-fall of 2024 for a finishing date. Fingers crossed!


I mentioned the new desk:


Sorry for the mess in the photo. That's what happens when you renovate a pet room lol. I bought the desk at a local yard sale late this summer, I think for $20. It's not in the best of shape, but it is precisely what I wanted shape-wise. I'm really pleased with it. (It's going to go on the opposite wall. The wall behind it in this photo is going to hold the floor to ceiling shelves.)


Okay, I think that's it for this post. Thanks for sticking with me. :) I have a lot of new ponies to post about too, and I'm hoping to do that this weekend. Maybe I can schedule something so I make sure it goes out. I think I have eight to share about, maybe nine. Oh yes! Nine. My, I need to stop adopting pitiful plastic ponies. I didn't realize I bought that many!





2 comments:

I always love to read comments. Thank you for leaving your thoughts!